1/ About the WSYA Contest
The WSYA contest is a competition among the most committed and creative designers, producers, application developers, journalists, and writers who, by using internet and mobile applications, create digital content and applications which address the UN Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
- The online or mobile project to be entered in to the contest must be initiated and executed by young people under the age of 30 (born on or after January 1, 1983) from any of the UN member states.
- With the registration, contest participants accept the rules of the WSYA contest as stated in this document. Any and all legal recourse to rules, actions and conditions of the WSYA are entirely excluded.
- Submitters of a project can not become jury members in the year of submission.
- Please note: Terms and conditions may be subject to change without notice. They will be published on the WSYA website.
2/ The registration procedure
- The registration, including submitting the project information, must be completed online. After successful registration, participants will receive an ID number to be used in all communication concerning their submission.
- The registration procedure includes signing and transmitting of the release form to the WSYA Office. By signing the release form the submitters confirm that they are the rightful owners to the necessary rights to submit the project. These rights include the copyright, right for using pictures, sound or audio components.
- All WSYA applicants are invited to create a project profile on the YA Friends platform to increase the exposure of their product and serve as an example to others. Winners and Runners-Up are obliged to present their project on YA Friends.
- The product, project, or application may be in any language.
- All registration information (such as description of the product, CV’s of producers) must be in English.
4/ Product entry
- The projects, products, or applications must be fully functional and operational at the time of submission and must be accessible via the internet whether it is designed for fixed line, broadband or mobile use.
- Submissions must be made in one of the six categories of the WSYA: 1. Fight Poverty, Hunger and Disease; 2. Education for all; 3. Power 2 Women; 4. Create your Culture; 5. Go Green; 6. Pursue Truth.
- The submitted product or application must be completed after January 1st, 2012. For a project or product completed earlier the submitters have to document that significant alterations and / or improvements and / or additions have been made in the period thereafter.
- Products / projects or applications which have been submitted in the WSYA in previous years cannot be submitted again. For a project which has been already submitted before, the submitters have to document significant alterations and / or improvements and / or additions.
- Winning project can not be submitted twice.
- The submitted product or application must be free of offensive or plagiarized content and may not violate human rights as laid out in the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights and its application by international human rights courts or panels recognized by the United Nations Organization.
5/ Multiple submissions
- In case of multiple submissions from one and the same submitters, each product, project or application requires a separate registration and release form.
6/ Reasons for disqualification
- Malfunctioning of the product, project, or application during the time of the jury evaluation. Submitters are held responsible for the smooth functioning of their products and applications.
- Lack of ownership of creative rights or infringement of copyrights of others
- False registration information
- Non-confirmation to the rules of the contest guidelines
- There is no legal recourse possible against the decision of disqualification for the above reasons. All disqualification can be made without any notice.
7/ Category switch
- The jury has the right to switch a submission from one category to another, if the category chosen by the producer is recognised as not suitable.
- A category switch is the result of a decision by jury members.
8/ Winners and Events
- The World Summit Youth Award honours 3 winners (persons or team) and up to 3 runners-up per category whose product, project or application is chosen by the expert jury as the best in digital content in one of the categories.
- The winners will be selected from among the registrants in each category through the jury process as published on the website.